Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Just get 'er done

I usually attend a boot camp class on Mondays.  I dread it all morning. I make sure I drink enough water and try not to have anything in my stomach before I go - it's that type of class, the type that leaves you with a super red face and, at times, nauseous.

I only found out I'm pregnant last Monday.  I debated going to class, then decided I should keep it up while I still can.  Big mistake.  The instructor knows what I'm capable of. He knows when I'm ramping it up and when I'm just coasting. So there was a lot of commentary about my effort (believe me, I was making one, it just wasn't up to my usual).  So yesterday, even though I really wanted to go to class, I decided against it. And I don't think I'll go back until we begin telling people about the pregnancy, in about a month.* (Sigh...that seems a long time, even though I know it will fly by.)

I had a specific window of time yesterday, so I decided to run on the treadmill.  Can we all agree that treadmill running just sucks? I don't mind using one for HIIT, since it's usually so short and you're constantly changing your speed, but a regular tempo run seems like torture to me.  Between the monotony and the lack of breeze or fan (at least in my gym), every 1 minute feels like 5.  I'd much rather run outside, but with temperatures and humidity in the 90's right now, that's another form of torture.

I managed 3 miles, but it took really psyching myself up with music in my ipod and playing mind games with myself.  These are the days you have to Just Do It.  We all have them. So, what are your tricks for motivating yourself to get through a workout?

*By the way, it hasn't escaped me that by the time anyone actually reads this blog, these entries will already be a month old. Oh well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment